What do you want to be when you grow up?

Since we’ve been young we always get asked this question. For some people they can answer you without
a doubt they’ve always known. Others it’s not as easy they get a little uncomfortable and make a joke saying
“not be homeless.” The question “what do you want to be when you grow up?”


For me, this has always been a difficult one. I’ve always had interests in lots of subjects but never known if I was
passionate enough to pursue just one as a career. So when the decision to choose a college and a major came around it
was a particularly daunting choice. I had always been passionate about STEM but I also knew I wanted to work with people.
So doctor seemed like a sensible option until I realized I couldn’t see blood without turning away in disgust. So I gave up
on that option. Then I decided I wanted to be a biomedical engineer. This I pursued for a long time even doing a summer
internship at a gene therapy company. I loved the possibilities the work I was doing had but I spent most of my summer in the
lab having limited interaction with people besides the lab director which made me question whether I loved the work enough to
give up interacting with people.


I decided to look at majors that allowed me to interact with people. This is when I came across the World Bachelor in Business
Program at USC. Business allows me to work with people and guarantees an endless spectrum of career opportunities and on top
of that, I would also get to live in three different continents.


Now that I’m at USC I’m only slightly closer to figuring out what I want to do. Since I arrived, I became really
interested in the finance aspect of business. But as a I stay here longer I get to learn more about the various careers
options you can pursue as a business major and I am excited to learn even more so I can decide what I want to do later on.



Comments

  1. This sounds interesting, and I can relate to what you're saying, so when I get asked "what do you want to be when you grow up", I just say that I want to be someone that does the things that they truly like to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it funny that it's Ghali and I commenting on this post, as we're all in WBB and feel similarly about our futures. I too am unsure what aspect of business I'd like to enter when I'm older, but like you, at least know that I want to be involved with business in some way. I also really struggled with what I wanted to do in going to college, but was fortunate enough to find the perfect program that would allow me to experience different aspects of the field and figure out where I saw myself going. Luckily, we have three whole more years to grow as people and figure it out.

    Looking forward to the adventures ahead,

    Grant Nunley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a hard question to ask someone in their early twenties. I'm thankful that I picked the major of Business Administration because there is so many routes you can take after graduation. I used to get anxiety about what my career path looked like-but I've learned to embrace the journey and give myself a break when considering different positions. You won't really know what you enjoy until you try it... so we'll have to see :)

    -Allegra

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Born on Third Base: Part 3

Reset: My Fight for Inclusion and Lasting Change By: Ellen Pao Post 2