Who You Are Matters

My father is French but met my mother when he came to the U.S to study in New York. My mother and father both moved back to France and I  was born in Paris and lived there for four years. After my parents got divorced, I then moved back to New York with my mom and sister.
When applying to college I had a hard time figuring out what I wanted to do. I spent a long time searching through different majors and college. I have always wanted to travel and as I thought more about majoring in business it became a prospect I was increasingly excited about. Being accepted into the WBB community, I learned that I was interested in finance and investment banking. To receive a job in the finance field. I will apply to summer internships and hopefully receive a full-time job offer for after college.
When my parents were younger they spent all their extra money, not on things but traveling. As my sister and I were growing up my parents instilled in us the importance of experiences rather than things. My dad also participated in a program like WBB where he traveled while getting a business degree.
Despite having some similarities to my parents we are also very different people. My parents also grew up in a different time than I did. They have different ideologies and political beliefs that I don’t always understand and things that are important to them aren’t important to me in the same way. My dad is especially conservative economically when I have different on the matter.
I struggled with choosing what to do. My parent's expectations were different from what I wanted. My parents wanted me to be an engineer and when I chose it was a source of discomfort in my family. Eventually, my family became fine with business but they still expected me to work hard in no matter what field I was studying but I expect this from myself so I would say that I am operating under my expectations.
Van Jones is currently a political commentator for CNN. He grew up in a low-income neighborhood but worked hard and was able to graduate from Yale Law School. He then worked with at-risk low-income students in California helping them gain skills that would make them employable. He later worked with President Obama as the Special Advisor for Green Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation.
An animal I feel a connection to is dolphins because they have the ability to travel to wherever they want but they also a stay with and protect their group.
I used to go to the same place every year for summer vacation. There was a tree in the backyard where a seat had formed from the branches and the trunk. This is where I would spend hours reading each day.
My sun sign is Gemini, my rising sign is Libra, and my moon sign is Aquarius

Comments

  1. I love that you're in WBB! My closest friends are in WBB and are currently seniors, and they have truly loved every single year of their experience. I'm beyond excited for you to share their same experiences in Milan and Hong Kong! Also, being in Milan should be super nice for you because you can easily go back to Paris whenever you want.
    I also appreciate so much that your parents have shown you the importance of traveling, as my parents have always been the same way and the traveling I have done has had a massive impact on who I am and how I see my future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I can relate to in the sense that we both have two homes. I understand how it feels to have ties in both your home country and the States, which I think is something that everyone can relate to. I appreciate how you mention that your pursuits were different from your parents and admire how you were able to achieve studying the degree of your preference and get your parents on board. My dad really wants me to do accounting which I think I will have to double major in. At first I didn't want to but I understand his reasons behind wanting me to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went through the investment banking recruiting process about two years ago to do my summer analyst position so I know how stressful it can be. Nonetheless I think investment banking is probably the best experience and it will all payoff so good luck with that, you just gotta stick with it. Also, that's really awesome that your parents are so supportive of you traveling as much as you can.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Born on Third Base: Part 3

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Reset: My Fight for Inclusion and Lasting Change By: Ellen Pao Post 2