A Weekend in San Diego

This past weekend was three days long for President’s Day so people were taking advantage of the long weekend to go home and spend time with their families or do something else special. Since I live in New York it wasn’t really worth it for me to go home for three days because with all the traveling involved. It would feel like I was leaving as soon as I got there. So when my friend, Ariella, asked me if I wanted to go to San Diego with her to see her parents and visit around I said yes. It was the first time I would be visiting San Diego. Since enrolling at USC I hadn’t had the chance to explore much of California so I was excited to see a new place and get away for the weekend.

Our trip started on Friday afternoon. The four of us piled into the car my friend, her roommate, me, and another girl who offered to give us a ride down. Our drive was pretty easy and there was less traffic than expected. We stopped at a place in San Clemente that my friend had raved about for their delicious rice bowls. After driving for another hour or so we arrived in La Jolla, a suburb of San Diego, where my friend lived. We met her parents and sister and then decided to head out to explore. We went to this beautiful beach that Ariella had frequently visited in high school. She told us when the sun sets in between the columns of the pier everyone from La Jolla comes to watch. We were pretty tired that day so we decided after some driving around we would call it a night.


On Saturday we woke up early and drove to downtown San Diego. In downtown, we went to Little Italy where they were having a farmer’s market. We looked at each stand and tried all the samples they were offering. We bought fresh orange juice and kombucha. We walked around downtown a little longer and then drove back to La Jolla where our other friend was being dropped off. After meeting our friend, we drove to Rigoberto’s a place Ariella would frequently visit after school. We ordered burritos and decided to take them down to Windansea Beach where about five different photo shoots were taking place. As we were eating our burritos a puppy came running up to us and dug his head into one of my friend’s burritos but she still ate it.

On Sunday we had planned to go hiking but when we woke up it was raining. We decided to face the rain and do the hike anyway. Our hike was meant to take us on a trail that would lead to the La Jolla Shores beach, but after about fifteen minutes hiking the rain really started coming down and the wind was getting stronger so we decided to call it quits. After we had given up on the hike Ariella drove us to a lookout point where we could see all of La Jolla.


Later that day we went to Convoy, a street in San Diego known for all kinds of Asian food. We went to Ariella’s favorite ramen place and each got huge bowls of noodles. The next morning we left after her mom made us really good buckwheat pancakes. Overall, it was a really enjoyable trip. I got to explore a new city, eat good food and it was a great way to spend the long weekend.

Comments

  1. It's great that you were finally able to get out of LA and go visit San Diego. I definitely agree that the food in San Diego is amazing, if you ask me the food their is much better than the food in LA. Hopefully, you can make some time and drive up to San Francisco next.

    -Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great trip to take as one of your first in California. La Jolla is terrific, and Windansea beach has a huge reputation and surf culture - always a good time. I actually wasn't aware of the Sun setting in between the pillars of the pier that is so cool! That is a nice picture. Hope you had a good time with your friends.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Olivia,

    I enjoyed reading about your encounter with San Diego over the long weekend. Being from Southern California I am familiar with many of the places you were referencing, but I am interested to revisit La Jolla and find some of those delicious food places you were talking about! Keep enjoying SoCal!

    -Garrett

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciated this blog. I'd love to make a trip so San Diego before I leave and was actually planning on going this weekend too but none of my friends were down. At least now I have a reference if I eventually make it there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The trips sounds like a lot of fun. The view is absolutely breath taking. I haven't visited San Diego for a while, and maybe I should re-visit the city soon!

    --- Claire Lin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Olivia,
    Thanks for sharing. Yes, San Diego is beautiful. I have family in Rancho Santa Fe as well as La Jolla. So, I've been a couple of times and only have fond memories of the place!

    best,
    Angad

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice that you've taken advantage of this long weekend to leave LA for a while and discover other places. I have also been to San Diego few times since my uncle live there, and I can confirm it is a great city.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This makes me want to take a trip down to San Diego again.

    Which restaurants were your favorite? (I kind of want to do a food tour.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. San Diego has incredible Mexican food, whenever I go down there I always try to eat at a few different places. Glad you had a great long weekend!

    -Khalil

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I really want to go to San Digeo too. You made it sound so beautiful and amazing. I'm sure the food down there was really great. I've been looking for a place nearby to go with my girlfriend and after reading about your weekend, I think I'm convinced that San Diego would be a nice spot for a quick vacation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Born on Third Base: Part 3

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Reset: My Fight for Inclusion and Lasting Change By: Ellen Pao Post 2